This online engineering PDH course provides a detailed description on highway safety in order to reduce the harm (deaths, injuries, and property damage) resulting from crashes of road vehicles traveling on public roads.
Harm from road-traffic crashes is greater than that from all other transportation modes (air, sea, space, off-terrain, etc.) combined. Road-traffic crashes are one of the world’s largest public health and injury prevention problems. The problem is all the more acute because the victims are overwhelmingly young and healthy prior to their crashes. According to the World Health Organization more than a million people are killed on the world’s roads each year.
Road-traffic safety deals exclusively with road-traffic crashes – how to reduce their number and their consequences. A road-traffic crash is an event starting on a public road involving a road vehicle that results in harm. For reasons of clear data collection, only harm involving a road vehicle is included. A person tripping with fatal consequences on a public road is not included as a road-traffic fatality. To be counted a pedestrian fatality, the victim must be struck by a road vehicle.
This 4 PDH online course is applicable to transportation and roadway engineers interested in analyzing highway safety. The contents of this document are intended to serve as guidance and not as an absolute standard or rule.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Familiarizing with the collection, maintenance and analysis of crash data
- Gaining a general overview on Identifying and prioritizing Hazardous Locations and Elements
- Learning about the effectiveness of safety design features
- Understanding how to perform a detailed engineering study to identify the safety problem
- Learning how to calculate crash reduction to obtain an estimate of the percent reduction in the number of crashes due to the implementation of a countermeasure
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.