Grid Services and Provision from Wind
This online engineering PDH course describes the “essential reliability” services (ERSs)—for example, operating reserves—needed to maintain the reliability and stability of the national electrical grid, and discusses how wind can provide these ERSs.
Wind’s ability to provide energy and capacity is well understood in concept even if industry practices vary by region. What is not as broadly understood is the ability of wind technologies to provide ERSs, even as modern wind turbines have necessary capabilities built in. While the cost of providing operating reserves is a small fraction of the total cost of grid services, this share could grow under increasing penetration of wind (or solar photovoltaics)—and the provision of operating reserves from wind could grow as well. In fact, in certain regions, wind is required to provide some of the reserve services even today. This course presents the service requirements and pricing data needed to evaluate the potential of wind energy to provide ERSs.
This 3 PDH online course is intended for electrical, mechanical, and other engineers interested in using wind turbines to generate electricity for the electric grid.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the categories of services provided to the electric grid: energy and capacity, operating reserves, and other services
- Learning the specific types of operating reserves: frequency responsive reserves, contingency reserves, and ramping reserves
- Familiarizing with the technical requirements of each service
- Knowing the quantities of each service currently procured
- Learning how to estimate costs of these services
- Understanding technical and regulatory issues around wind providing these services
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.