Fundamentals of Modern Electrical Substations - Part 1
This online engineering PDH course series presents an overview of modern electrical substations, emphasizing their importance for reliable and effective operation of power systems; describing all major, auxiliary and control equipment; listing typical engineering issues associated with substation design and engineering; and providing recommendations for addressing these issues. The entire course series consists of three parts:
- Part 1: Mission of Electrical Substations and their Main Components
- Part 2: Electrical Substation Auxiliary and Control Systems
- Part 3: Electrical Substation Engineering Aspects
Part 1 of this course series is presented herein. This course starts with a discussion about the main goals that every utility company has, followed by a description of a typical power system structure, justification for voltage transformation and mission of substations. The next section of this course covers all main aspects of the substations including their mission, components, types and arrangement. All explanations are supported by numerous photos showing all substation major equipment and their installation options.
This 2 PDH online course is intended for electrical and civil engineers and designers, construction professionals, as well as utility company management and field personnel looking to expand their knowledge and experience in modern electrical substations.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding of modern power systems arrangement, including the structure of Transmission and Distribution (T&D) system
- Understanding the substation mission and its place in the overall T&D structure
- Familiarizing with the substation main components
In addition, after completing this course, you'll be able to:
- List typical power system voltages
- Describe the reasons for voltage transformation
- Explain the meaning of sectionalization of power systems
- Describe all major substation components including:
- Power transformers
- Switching equipment
- Substation bus system
- Instrument transformers
- Explain when to use each type of switching equipment
- List all advantages and disadvantages of each type of substation bus system, including:
- Open air rigid bus
- Strain bus
- Gas insulated bus
- Cable bus
- Explain what current and potential transformers are used for and what their standard secondary values are
- Explain why overvoltage protection of substation elements is needed and what major means of this protection are
- List substation equipment installation options
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review Part 1 of Fundamentals of Modern Electrical Substations titled, “Mission of Electrical Substations and their Main Components”.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.