Fundamentals of Arc Welding
This online engineering PDH course provides prospective tradesmen with the basic understanding of the theory, principles, methods, and techniques related to modern arc welding.
Qualified welders are needed in different branches of metal and building industries, as well as in pipelines, automotive, aircraft - and shipbuilding industries. Simply stated, welding is a process of permanent joining of materials (usually metals) through localized coalescence resulting from suitable combination of temperature, pressure and metallurgical conditions. Depending upon the combination of temperature and pressure from a high temperature with no pressure to a high pressure with low temperature, a wide range of welding processes have been developed. Various welding processes differ in the manner in which temperature and pressure are combined and can be classified as gas welding, arc welding, resistance welding, solid state welding, thermo-chemical welding and radiant energy welding. Out of these types gas welding and arc welding are two most common methods employed in industry.
This 5 PDH online course is aimed at students, mechanical, structural and process engineers, professional welders, facility managers, H & S professionals, environmentalists, energy auditors and anyone who wants a basic understanding of welding principles. (Note: This course is not a substitute for a proper apprenticeship.)
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Naming and describing the four basic types of arc welding processes and tell what factors influence their selection
- Explaining how the SMAW, GMAW, GTAW and SAW techniques work
- Learning how to properly select the shielding gases in arc welding operations
- Understanding the technical vocabulary of welding as applicable to different types of joints and welds
- Defining the heat-affected zone and tell what changes can occur there during welding
- Describing the effects of uneven or rapid heating and cooling on base metals and weld beads
- Explaining the benefit of preheating and when it should be used
- Listing the factors affecting the quality of welded connections
- Understanding the importance of welding procedures
- Describing effective cross-checking and NDE techniques
- Understanding how to interpret welding drawings: lines, dimensions, symbols and notes to communicate ideas on paper
- Describing the personal protective equipment necessary for welding
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled "Fundamentals of Arc Welding".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.