Free Speech vs. Regulation of Professional Engineers
This online engineering PDH course will establish the relationship between the actions of a licensing board for professional engineers and the Constitutional right of free speech.
This course discusses the background and findings of a legal case that arose when a state licensing board for professional engineers attempted to restrict the right of an engineer from speaking about a public safety issue. Actual legal documents and associated correspondence are discussed, and their implications analyzed.
The 1 PDH online course is intended for all registered professional engineers wanting to know about the relation between constitutionally protected free speech and the powers of a licensing board for professional engineers.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the value of free speech in discovering the best solution to technical problems
- Realizing the difference between protected and unprotected speech
- Knowing an example in which the actions of a PE licensing board was limited by the Constitutional right of free speech
- Familiarizing with the meaning of a board letter that announces the opening of an investigation
- Understanding the meaning and use of a Notice to Impose a Civil Penalty
- Understanding the significance of working outside the context of an employment or contractual relationship
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.