FHWA Bridge Maintenance: Superstructure
This online engineering PDH course is based on Chapter XI (Superstructure Maintenance Procedures) of the manual, and discusses procedures related to maintenance of bridge superstructures.
The Bridge Maintenance Training Reference Manual was developed to serve as part of a Federal Highway Administration training course. The objectives of the training are to 1) provide instructions in bridge maintenance and repair procedures, 2) provide an overview of general management techniques useful to a bridge maintenance supervisor or technician, 3) improve work-site safety, and 4) acquaint bridge maintenance personnel with the purpose and function of bridge management systems.
This 5 PDH online course is intended primarily for structural and civil engineers, as well as design and construction professionals, and would be of particular interest to consulting engineers or to engineers serving in government organizations concerned with the maintenance of bridges.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Jacking tips before attempting to lift the superstructure
- Jacking the superstructure
- Installation of a carrier beam
- Sliding plate bearing maintenance.
- Roller bearing maintenance
- Rocker bearing maintenance
- Pin and hanger bearing maintenance
- Elastomeric bearing maintenance
- Pot bearing maintenance
- Proper position for bearings
- Resetting or rehabilitating bearings
- Elevating bearings to increase vertical clearance
- Repair of damaged reinforced concrete beams
- Repair of damaged concrete beam ends
- Strengthening concrete beams with FRP strips for flexure
- Strengthening concrete beam with reinforcing steel for shear
- Repair of damaged prestressed concrete beams, steel beams, and timber beams
- Maintenance and repair of steel trusses
- Repair of tension members
- Replacement of compression members
- Repair of damaged truss members
- Increasing the vertical clearance by modifying the portal bracing
- Heat straightening of damaged truss members
- Paint systems for spot painting
- Preparation of the surface
- Spot painting guidelines
- Care and storage of paint
- Inspection of painting
- Defects in paint
- Weathering steel
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review Chapter XI, "Superstructure Maintenance Procedures" of the Federal Highway Administration Bridge Maintenance Training Reference Manual, Publication No. FHWA- NHI-03-045, March, 2003.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.