Ethical Issues in Design-Build
In this online engineering PDH course the dilemma for the engineer or architect posed by the conflict between the owner's and general contractor's interests in the design-build process is discussed. The ethical issues that arise from such dilemma when subjective criteria are used to award design-build contracts are also discussed. Finally, steps that can be taken by individual engineers and engineering societies to resolve these ethical issues while retaining design-build as a construction delivery option are discussed.
The widespread growth of "design-build" presents ethical issues for engineers and architects. If these issues are not addressed, it is likely public reaction to abuses the process invites will result in the loss of design-build as a construction delivery process.
This 2 PDH online course is intended for engineers and architects employed by public agencies and private companies as well as those who are self-employed who are involved with design-build projects. It will also be valuable for construction professionals who are concerned with the long-term health of their industry.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning the elements of design-build
- Learning the difference between a construction delivery and a construction procurement process
- Learning to distinguish subjective criteria for award of design-build contracts from objective criteria
- Learning the fundamental elements of a construction delivery process
- Learning the fundamental elements of a construction procurement process
- Learning how "best value" and "point systems" can be inappropriately manipulated
- Learning the two serious ethical issues engineers are faced with in design-build
- Learning the steps individual engineers and engineering societies can take to rationalize these ethical issues
- Learning what the engineer needs to do to protect himself when interest of the owner and that of the general contractor conflict
- Learning the importance of integrity in public agency and private company procurement
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "Ethical Issues in Design-Build".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.