This online engineering PDH course provides information on the current transformer application, requirements, selection process and particular requirements for different protection relays. The presented details address issues related to measurement error, protection and measurement cores, accuracy classes, core selection and necessary technical requirements that current transformers have to meet.
Current transformers are specific transformer types used for current measurement. The common engineering laws are also valid for the current transformers. The most important roles of current transformers are:
- To transform currents, from a high value to a value that can be easily handled by protection relays and associated instruments;
- To separate and insulate the metering circuit from the high voltage; and
- To provide options for standardization of instruments and protection relays with rated currents.
This 3 PDH online course is intended for engineers with a desire to understand the fundamentals of current transformers. Upon successful completion engineers will be able to address various current transformer terms, specific classes, application purposes and overall core selection process.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding current transformer measurement error
- Learning about metering and protection cores
- Learning how to select current transformer cores
- Understanding the current transformer technical requirements
- Learning about current transformers specific requirements for different relay protection applications
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.