This online engineering PDH course provides comprehensive information on cooling water systems and describes different types of cooling towers, their mechanical components and the problems associated with cooling water.
A cooling tower is a device used in industry to cool hot water (by partial evaporation) before reusing it as a coolant. Water directly contacts surrounding air and a very small part (1-2%) evaporate. This evaporation increases the air temperature and humidity and decreases the temperature of the water making it possible to cool below the normal air temperature. Although this heat is usually transferred to a cool, flowing volume of water, final rejection is always to the atmosphere and, invariably, is accomplished by some form of heat exchanger.
The machines and processes of industry, as well as the air-conditioning systems for buildings generate tremendous amounts of heat, which must be continuously, dissipated if these machines and processes are to continue to operate efficiency. Water cooling is the most efficient method of dissipating heat.
This 7 PDH online course is applicable to mechanical engineers, design and construction personnel, technical staff and facility personnel who are interested in gaining a better understanding of cooling towers.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learn different types of heat rejection systems
- Learn the operational theory and principles of evaporative cooling tower
- Describe the factors affecting the performance of cooling tower
- Learn the various materials used in construction of cooling tower
- Understand the functions of various components of cooling tower
- Describe various control options
- Understand the layout and installation considerations
- Understand the water distribution mechanisms, noise and vibration issues
- Understand the cooling tower water balance
- Learn the importance of cooling water treatment
- Describe the cooling tower testing requirements, various codes and standards
- Learn by examples the equations to calculate the evaporation rate, fresh water make up and blowdown requirements
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the document titled "Cooling Towers".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.