Control Valve Basics: Sizing and Selection
This online engineering PDH course provides an overview of control valve with emphasis on the sizing and selection. Selection of the proper valve involves a thorough knowledge of the process for which it will be used. When implementing a control valve into a process, one must consider not only the appropriate type of valve and its material of construction, but also the correct sizing to ensure it performs its designated task without any adverse occurrences in the system.
Control valves are imperative elements in any system where fluid flow must be monitored and manipulated. A complete control valve is made of the valve itself, an actuator, and, if necessary, a valve control device. The actuator is what provides the required force to cause the closing part of the valve to move and the valve control devices keep the valves in the proper operating conditions; they can ensure appropriate position, interpret signals, and manipulate responses.
This 4 PDH online course is intended for mechanical, instrumentation and process engineers involved in sizing, selecting and applying process control valves.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Differentiating between various types of valves and the benefits of each
- Understanding the operation of control valve in a control loop
- Learning how to evaluate and apply actuators and positioners for specific applications
- Understanding the basic hydraulics and the relationship between the Cv, flow rate and pressure drop
- Learning how to size valves for any flow condition likely to be found in a process plant
- Learning how to select the proper valve characteristic for a given process
- Understanding how the installed characteristics can match closely to the inherent characteristics
- Knowing the methods to address system performance issues such as cavitation, flashing and chocked conditions
- Understanding the factors influencing the selection of control valves
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled "Control Valves Basics - Sizing and Selection".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.