Coating Types and Selection
This online engineering PDH course presents each type of coating resin or binder categorized by its film-forming mechanism, different types of pigments, and the various solvent families. It also discusses drying oils which are an integral part of some coating formulations, as well as, driers that aid in the drying reaction. Furthermore, it describes miscellaneous additives that are formulated into many coatings for specific purposes. It also provides guidance on powder coatings, thermal spray organic and inorganic coatings, and galvanizing tapes and wraps.
This course also presents a systematic approach to coating selection for new construction and maintenance painting. It details the criteria for selecting a coating system based on the service environment(s), surface preparation requirements, and options for coating application. Finally, it discusses other considerations such as VOC concerns, coating cost, supplier recommendations, ease of application, and maintainability.
This 6 PDH online course is applicable to engineers, design and construction personnel, and other technical professionals who are interested in gaining a better understanding of coating types, characteristics and selection.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Familiarizing with the various types of film-forming mechanisms
- Understanding how resins (binders) are formed and their underlying pigments
- Learning about drying oil coatings and their corresponding driers
- Understanding the function of solvents in coatings
- Learning about the various additives and their purposes
- Understanding zinc-rich coatings vs. powder and their applications
- Understanding the environmental impacts of volatile organic compounds
- Understanding the process of thermal spray and galvanized coatings
- Learning about how to protect piping and tubular structural shapes with tapes and wraps
- Determining the criteria for selecting a coating system
- Understanding the degree of exposure to atmospheric elements
- Selecting coating systems for ferrous components in fresh water vs. seawater
- Selecting coating systems for black iron and steel pipes
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review Chapters 4 and 5 of the "Painting: New Construction and Maintenance" engineering manual, published by the United States Army of Corps of Engineers (USACE), Publication Number EM 1110-2-3400.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.