Circuit Control Devices
This online engineering PDH course provides general requirements, classifications, installation, maintenance, testing, and application information for circuit control devices, and covers the requirements for switches, relays and solenoids.
Circuit control in its simplest form, is the application and removal of power. This can also be expressed as turning a circuit on and off or opening and closing a circuit. Before you learn about the application of circuit control devices, you should know why circuit control is needed. If a circuit develops problems that could damage the equipment or endanger personnel, it should be possible to remove the power from that circuit. The circuit protection devices (fuses and breakers) are not the control devices; these are protection devices that will remove power automatically in event of overload conditions. Circuit control devices allow you to turn the device ON when it is needed and OFF when it is not needed.
This 3 PDH online course is applicable to students, professional engineers, service technicians, energy auditors, operational & maintenance personnel, facility engineers who are interested in gaining a better understanding in circuit control devices.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- State reasons for providing circuit control devices
- List three general types of circuit control devices
- Identify the schematic symbols for a switch, a solenoid, and a relay
- State the difference between a manual and an automatic switch and state the reason multi-contact switches are used
- State the type of switch used to prevent the accidental energizing or de-energizing of a circuit
- State the meaning of the current and voltage rating of a switch
- State the operating principle of a solenoid and describe how to check a solenoid for proper operation
- State the operating principle of a relay and how it differs from a solenoid
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review Chapter 3 of Module 3 titled "Circuit Control Devices" of the Naval Education and Training Materials (NAVEDTRA 14175), Electricity and Electronic Training Series.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.