Building Elevator Systems
This online engineering PDH course provides criteria for design and construction of elevators. The requirements laid down in this course compliment non-governmental standards such as those published by ASME and NFPA.
Elevators enable millions of public buildings to function effectively by seamlessly moving people into them, through them and out of them. Ranging from retail shops to railway stations and airports to schools, car parks, hotels, or stadiums, each of these types of buildings has a unique set of requirements that need to be met.
The elevator and escalator industry is a very unique trade among other building services equipment industries. The equipment suppliers usually have lines of basic products. However, each installation is site specific i.e. each installation is tailor-made to suit individual site's constraints and requirements.
This 6 PDH online course is applicable to architects and engineers who are involved in the design of facility's elevators. Because elevators are complex multi-disciplined products, this course provides guidance to the architectural and engineering disciplines to understand their roles in elevator design.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning how to determine correct number and type of transportation devices
- Learning how to determine right sizes and speeds of the transportation devices
- Learning how to zone and locate the transportation devices for smooth flow of people and goods
- Knowing the principle of operation of traction and hydraulic elevators including roping and hoisting mechanisms
- Understanding geared and gearless type traction elevators
- Understanding the difference between the direct-acting and suspended hydraulic elevator
- Familiarizing with the codes and standards governing the design and installation of elevators
- Understanding the architectural, structural, electrical, mechanical design criteria
- Understanding the fire protection, emergency power and HVAC criteria
- Understanding elevator control and safety features including independent service, attendant service, inspect and fire service
- Applying general good practices: Do's and Don'ts
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the document titled, "Building Elevator Systems".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.