Building a Storm-Resistant Safe Room
This online engineering PDH course covers the design and construction of storm-resistant safe rooms that provide near-absolute protection from tornado or hurricane winds and associated flying debris. The designs considered are applicable to homes, small businesses, and small community shelters.
Every year, tornadoes, hurricanes, and other extreme windstorms injure and kill people, and cause millions of dollars of property damage in the United States. Even so, more and more people build homes in tornado and hurricane-prone areas, possibly putting themselves in the path of such storms.
This 3 PDH online course is particularly applicable to engineers in government agencies and the military concerned with construction practices and to engineers in the construction industry.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Procedures for assessing risk and determining if building a safe room is appropriate
- Alternative safe-room locations such as underneath, in the basement, or in an interior room of a new home or small business
- Effects of type of foundation on safe-room design
- Design guidance on how to add a safe room to an existing structure
- Selection of appropriate construction materials
- Safe-room designs for homes or small businesses that meet or exceed the minimum shelter design requirements from the ICC-500 Storm Shelter Standard
- Cost estimating for safe-room construction
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the publication: Taking shelter from the Storm, Building a Safe Room for Your Home or Small Business, FEMA P-320, Fourth Edition, December 2014.
Once you complete your course review, you need to take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of twenty (20) questions to earn 4 PDH credits. The quiz will be based on this FEMA publication.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.