Bitumen Tests for the Design of Flexible Pavements
This online engineering PDH course provides a detailed description on the types of tests to be performed on the bituminous surface layer when designing flexible pavements.
A highway pavement is a structure consisting of superimposed layers of processed materials above the natural soil subgrade, which primary function is to distribute the applied vehicle loads to the subgrade. Pavements provide a smooth and durable all-weather traveling surface that benefits a range of vehicles (cars, trucks, buses, bicycles) and users (commuters, commercial motor carriers, delivery and service providers, local users, leisure travelers).
Bitumen is a binding material extensively used in the construction of flexible pavements. The bitumen is viscous black or brown mixture of hydrocarbons obtained as a byproduct on refining crude petroleum. Bitumen is responsible for imparting quality and durability for flexible pavements and is necessary to confirm its quality before applications. This course focusses on the various laboratory tests and procedures performed on bitumen for ensuring the quality.
This 4 PDH online course is applicable to transportation and roadway engineers interested in learning about the various bitumen tests to be considered when selecting and designing flexible pavements.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Familiarizing with the different pavement types including flexible pavements, rigid pavements, and composite pavements
- Learning about the grading of asphalt binders including penetration grading, viscosity grading and performance grading
- Gaining a general overview on the important tests for asphalt binders
- Understanding the characteristics of Hot-Mix Asphalt, Warm-Mix Asphalt and Cold-Mix Asphalt
- Learning about the recycled asphalt materials including Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement (RAP), Reclaimed Asphalt Shingles (RAS), Rubberized Asphalt Concrete (RAC), Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement (RAP) in Base and Subbase
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "Bitumen Tests for the Design of Flexible Pavements”, which is prepared by Najib Gerges, Ph.D., P.E.
Once you complete your course review, you need to take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of twenty (20) questions to earn 4 PDH credits. The quiz will be based on the entire document.
The minimum passing score is 70%. There is no time limit on the quiz, and you can take it multiple times until you pass at no additional cost.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.