An Introduction to Water System Pumps and Drivers
This online engineering PDH course will introduce you to important considerations in the design of systems for pumping water. This course covers the operation of pumps used in water supply systems. It also covers the motors, engines, and accessories (together called pump drivers) that provide the mechanical source of energy to pumps.
Velocity pumps and positive-displacement pumps are the two categories of pumps commonly used in water supply operations. Velocity pumps, which include centrifugal and vertical turbine pumps, are used for most distribution system applications. Positive-displacement pumps, which include rotary and reciprocating pumps, are most commonly used in water treatment plants for chemical metering and pumping sludge.
This 3 PDH online course is intended for civil engineers, mechanical engineers and other infrastructure design and construction professionals who want to learn about the basic technology, design, materials and equipment used in water pumping systems.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Using reference checklist for starting and stopping centrifugal pumps
- Understanding what causes cavitation in pumps and how to prevent it
- Familiarizing with a routine operations checklist for centrifugal pumps
- Familiarizing with a troubleshooting checklist for centrifugal pumps
- Understanding the operating instructions for ejector pumps
- Learning about operating characteristics of rotary and reciprocating-displacement pumps
- Familiarizing with a troubleshooting checklist for progressive-cavity pumps
- Learning about the guidelines for stuffing box inspections
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the document titled, “An Introduction to Water System Pumps and Drivers”.
Once you complete your course review, you need to take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of fifteen (15) questions to earn 3 PDH credits. The quiz will be based on the entire document.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.