An Introduction to Sustainable Lighting Design
This online engineering PDH course discusses how to provide sustainable lighting design to achieve the required LEED or other certification level in accordance with owner's objectives. Incorporating sustainable goals into the design process requires a careful analysis of both the cost and the benefits of the strategies outlined in the rating system. Any design strategy has both synergies and tradeoffs with other building systems and the project budget.
Lighting design addresses several sustainable issues and presents multiple strategies that can be considered in a particular project: daylight utilization, lighting controls, energy efficiency, materials, light pollution, and light trespass. All of these issues have significant impacts on the project budget that can best be evaluated with a life-cycle cost analysis. Additionally, the most sustainable solution to a new building project may be to renovate an existing building. In this situation, certain lighting issues must be addressed to improve the efficiency and visibility of an existing system.
This 2 PDH online course is intended for electrical and lighting engineers and other design and construction professionals seeking an introduction to the principles and strategies for sustainable lighting design.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning about sustainable lighting design and the LEED rating system
- Learning about daylighting strategies for interior illumination
- Understanding the importance of fully shielded luminaires for roadway and area lighting
- Learning about the concepts of light pollution and light trespass
- Learning about light source life expectancy estimates
- Learning about different lighting retrofit strategies
- Knowing how to retrofit existing troffer systems
- Knowing how to maximize the lighting efficiency of building glazing systems
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "An Introduction to Sustainable Lighting Design".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.