An Introduction to Sustainable Design for Buildings
This online engineering PDH course explains the goals of the six main principles behind sustainable design, opportunities you can use to pursue them, and resources that will help you reach them. When you have completed this course, you will have a road map that will guide you in making sustainability an integral part of your management of building and infrastructure design and construction projects.
"Sustainable design" is no longer a boutique concept in the design and construction of buildings and related infrastructure. It is widely required by government agencies and is becoming more and more in demand by responsible private owners. Sustainable design seeks to reduce negative impacts on the environment, and the health and comfort of building occupants, thereby improving building performance. The basic objectives of sustainability are to reduce consumption of non-renewable resources, minimize waste, and create healthy, productive environments. Design and construction of buildings and related infrastructure create major direct and indirect impacts on the environment.
This 2 PDH online course is intended for those engineers, architects and construction professionals who are interested in learning more about the framework for applying sustainable design concepts in buildings.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learn about the six principles of sustainable design
- Learn about the seven principles of sustainable site planning
- Learn about the five principles of energy use optimization
- Learn about the seven principles for the protection and conservation of water
- Learn about the eight principles for employment of environmentally preferable products and materials
- Learn about the ten principles to employ in enhancing indoor environmental quality
- Learn about the five principles for optimization of operational and maintenance practices
- Learn about the resources that you can use learn more about your sustainability options, and how to access and employ them
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "An Introduction to Sustainable Design for Buildings".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.