An Introduction to Power Plant Cogeneration
This online engineering PDH course provides an introduction to electric power plant cogeneration. It presents cogeneration cycles, efficiency, methods of operation, interconnection with utility and economics.
Cogeneration is the simultaneous generation of electricity (or mechanical energy) and steam (or other thermal energy such as hot air or hot water) from the same fuel (or energy) source.
This 2 PDH online course is intended for electrical engineers and electric utility managers interested in learning about cogeneration methods and strategies.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning about the cogeneration cycles which consist of operating energy conversion equipment such as boilers, turbines, and electric generators so as to produce both electricity and steam or other thermal energy
- Learning about the basic conventional cycle which consists of a steam boiler and turbine, which drives either an electrical generator or other mechanical equipment, and from which steam is extracted or exhausted to environmental heating or processes
- Learning about the combined cycle which consists of a gas turbine which exhausts to a heat recovery steam generator
- Learning how under parallel operation, a cogeneration plant is electrically interconnected and synchronized with an electric utility distribution or transmission system, with both the cogenerator and electric utility generating electricity simultaneously
- Learning about peak shaving
- Learning about isolated operation, where the cogeneration plant generates, independently of the electric utility, all electricity and steam needed and used by the facilities that it serves
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the document titled, “An Introduction to Power Plant Cogeneration”.
Once you complete your course review, you need to take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of fifteen (15) questions to earn 2 PDH credits. The quiz will be based on the entire document.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.