An Introduction to Pavement Overlays
This online engineering PDH course provides an introduction to the selection, application and design of plain and reinforced portland cement concrete and asphalt concrete pavement overlays for streets, roads, parking and open storage areas.
Normally, overlays of existing pavements are used to increase the load-carrying capacity of an existing pavement or to correct a defective surface condition on the existing pavement. Of these reasons, the first requires a structural design procedure for determining the thickness of overlay; whereas the second requires only a thickness of overlay sufficient to correct the surface condition, and no increase in load-carrying capacity is considered.
The design method for overlays included in this course determines the thickness required to increase load-carrying capacity. These methods have been developed from a series of full-scale accelerated traffic tests on various types of overlays and are, therefore, empirical. These methods determine the required thickness of overlay that, when placed on the existing pavement, will be equivalent in performance to the required design thickness of a new pavement placed on subgrade.
This 2 PDH online course is intended for civil engineers and other design and construction professionals seeking to learn how to design and apply flexible and rigid overlays to existing flexible, composite and rigid pavements.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the measures necessary to prepare existing pavement for overlay
- Knowing the three bond conditions when overlaying a rigid pavement with a rigid overlay
- Learning about the condition rating factors "C" for existing pavements to be overlaid
- Learning how to calculate the thickness of rigid overlays for rigid pavements
- Learning how to design a rigid overlay of an existing flexible pavement
- Learning how to design overlays for composite pavements
- Learning how to apply overlays to flexible pavements
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "An Introduction to Pavement Overlays".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.