An Introduction to Noise Control in Buildings
This online engineering PDH course presents the basic principles and terminology for noise control engineering in buildings. Noise Criteria (NC) and Room Criteria (RC) curves and how they are used in acoustical engineering projects are described. Speech Interference Levels (
Noise control in buildings is a basic treatment that will introduce designers to some important principles and terminology. In simple applications on real projects the information provided will give designers a good start in addressing acoustic control issues. For more acoustically complex projects designers will use more detailed principles such as those associated with design of concert halls and recording studios.
This 2 PDH online course is intended for engineers and architects who are interested in gaining a better understanding of noise control in buildings that they can apply immediately on straightforward projects, and that will give them the background they need before advancing to more acoustically sophisticated projects.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learn how noise associated with buildings is defined in terms of Noise Criteria and Room Criteria.
- Learn about designing to mitigate speech interference in the acoustic environment.
- Learn how sound pressure level (SPL) varies with distance and absorption.
- Learn basic principles underlying estimation and use of Room Constants.
- Learn how the principles of sound Transmission Loss (TL), Noise Reduction (NR) and Sound Transmission Class (STC) of building materials are applied to real projects.
- Learn about STC values for many common building materials.
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled: "An Introduction to Noise Control in Buildings".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.