An Introduction to Gas Insulated Electrical Substations
This online engineering course provides a basic overview of Gas Insulated Substations (GIS) and GIS technology.
A GIS is a high voltage substation in which the major conducting structures are contained within a sealed environment with a dielectric gas known as sulfur hexafluoride gas (SF6) as the insulating medium. In comparison, a conventional (AIS) or Air-Insulated Substation, uses atmospheric air as the dielectric gas medium, as these types of substations are almost always located at outdoor locations.
This 3 PDH online course is intended for electrical engineers and all other technical personnel working within the electric utility industry, who are interested in gaining a better understating of GIS systems and GIS technology.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Familiarizing with the basic concept of a GIS System
- Learning about Hybrid GIS Substations
- Understanding the advantages and disadvantages of GIS Systems
- Learning about SF6 gas, leak detection, and gas monitoring systems
- Familiarization with international standards relating to GIS
- Understanding the basic economic considerations of GIS vs AIS
- Learning about contaminants and oxidation in the gas
- Familiarizing with enclosure modules for a GIS System
- Learning about conductors in a GIS System
- Familiarizing with the circuit breakers and transformers used in GIS Systems
- Learning about switching and arrester devices used in GIS Systems
- Learning about the connections in GIS Systems
- Familiarizing with the control system of a GIS
- Familiarizing with testing, installation, and operational procedures for a GIS
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.