An Introduction to Fire Protection Engineering for Buildings
Fire protection engineering impacts every aspect of building design. Civil engineers, structural engineers, architects, mechanical engineers and electrical engineers all need to know how the principles of fire protection engineering will affect their involvement in the design of buildings and related infrastructure.
This course provides guidance on fire protection engineering for the building design team. It facilitates the building design process and result in safer and more cost-effective buildings and infrastructure for public agencies and private companies.
This course introduces fire protection engineering fundamentals related to building materials and design, water supply for fire protection, fire extinguishing systems, fire alarm systems, special occupancies and hazards, and storage of flammable and hazardous materials. This course also describes the basics of using occupancy hazard classification for determining sprinkler densities and hose streams, procedures for determining fire flow demand for unsprinklered facilities, and procedures for performance based fire safety design.
This online PDH course is intended for architectural, civil, structural, mechanical and electrical engineers engaged in the design of buildings and related infrastructure to better understand how the principles of fire protection engineering affect their daily practice.
This continuing education online PDH course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learn about the principles of fire protection engineering that affect building materials and design.
- Learn how to provide an adequate water supply for fire protection.
- Become familiar with the different types of fire extinguishing systems.
- Learn about the different types of systems for fire detection, alarm, reporting and evacuation.
- Become familiar with the requirements of special hazards and occupancies.
- Learn about the occupancy hazard classification system.
- Learn about performance based fire safety design, codes and other professional resources.
In this course, you need to review the course document titled, "An Introduction to Fire Protection Engineering for Buildings" provided below.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.