An Introduction to Coatings and Paints
This online engineering PDH course will introduce you to the principles and practices of coatings and paints for applications in buildings and other infrastructure. You will learn about the criteria to use in specifying coatings and paints for all of the typical construction materials, specifications for repair of surfaces, recommendations for removal of existing coatings and paints, standards for condition and cleanliness of substrates, and methods of surface preparation. This course will provide you with important information you can use every day on current and future projects in your office or agency.
Painting and coating of surfaces in buildings and other infrastructure construction require careful attention to specification, application and inspection if construction materials are to be effectively protected for a substantial service life.
This 4 PDH online course is intended for engineers, design professionals, and construction personnel who are interested in gaining an introduction to coatings and paints.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning the criteria to use in selecting coating and painting materials
- Learning how to specify lead- and chromate-free coatings and paints with volatile organic chemical (VOC) limits required by regulations
- Learning about the recommended coatings and paints for application to all of the typical construction material substrates
- Learning how deteriorated surfaces should be repaired prior to application of coatings and paints
- Learning the standards of condition for substrates prior to application of coatings and paints
- Learning about the cleanliness standards for substrates prior to application of coatings and paints to assure a useful service life
- Learning about recommendations for removal of existing paint and coating prior to application
- Learning the methods for surface preparation prior to application of a new paint or coating
- Learning the dry film thickness (dft) specifications for different painting and coating products
- Learning about compatibility issues when using different coating and paint products
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "An Introduction to Coatings and Paints".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.