A Guide to Wet Floodproofing Residential Structures
This online engineering PDH course discusses protection of the structure; design of openings for intentional flooding of enclosed areas below the DFE; use of flood-resistant materials; adjustment of building operations and maintenance procedures; the need for emergency preparedness for actions that require human intervention; and design of protection for the structure and its contents, including utility systems and appliances. The techniques and methodologies described in this course document are applicable to most areas in the United States.
Wet floodproofing can be defined as permanent or contingent measures applied to a structure and/or its contents that prevent or provide resistance to damage from flooding by allowing floodwater to enter the structure. The basic characteristic that distinguishes wet floodproofing from dry floodproofing is that it allows internal flooding of a structure as opposed to providing essentially watertight protection.
This 3 PDH online course is applicable to engineers and architects who are involved with the wet floodproofing design or construction of residential structures.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the principles of protecting a structure from flooding
- Knowing how to use the design flood elevation (DFE) in floodproofing design
- Learning about the design of openings for intentional flooding of enclosed areas below the DFE
- Understanding the use of flood-resistant materials
- Knowing how to adjust building operations and maintenance procedures
- Understanding the need for emergency preparedness for actions requiring human intervention.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.