Solar Power Installations on Closed Landfills
This online engineering PDH course provides an overview of the technical and regulatory facets of constructing solar farms on closed landfills. The different types of solar technologies are discussed, and their suitability for installation on a landfill cap is indicated. General guidance on some of the most common engineering obstacles of landfill reuse is provided. Finally regulatory and liability issues arising from building on a brownfield or Superfund site, that has been cleaned up or is undergoing cleanup, are discussed.
Estimates for the total number of closed landfills in the
This 2 PDH online course is intended primarily for civil, electrical, environmental, and mechanical engineers involved in solar power generation projects.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning about ground mounted systems
- Understanding the different solar technologies
- Knowing the solar system weight considerations
- Understanding wind loading and snow loading
- Learning about settlement
- Understanding cover material integrity
- Learning about side slope stability
- Learning about renewable energy production on Superfund or brownfield sites
- Understanding the technical complications, challenges and potential remedies
- Learning about required permitting
- Understanding zoning and land use
- Learning about existing contamination and environmental site investigations
- Understanding CERCLA liability
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency document, "Solar Power Installations on Closed Landfills: Technical and Regulatory Considerations", by Gabriel Sampson, September 2009.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.