Solar Energy Fundamentals
In this online engineering PDH course properties of electromagnetic radiation will be discussed and basic calculations for electromagnetic radiation will be described. Several solar position parameters will be discussed along with means of calculating values for them. The major methods by which solar radiation is converted into other useable forms of energy will be discussed briefly. Extraterrestrial solar radiation (that striking the earth's outer atmosphere) will be discussed and means of estimating its value at a given location and time will be presented. Finally there will be a presentation of how to obtain values for the average monthly rate of solar radiation striking the surface of a typical solar collector, at a specified location in the United States for a given month. Numerous examples are included to illustrate the calculations and data retrieval methods presented.
This 4 PDH online course is intended for mechanical and electrical engineers, energy professionals and architects who are interested in gaining a better understanding of solar energy. After completing this course, you will have basic knowledge about solar electromagnetic radiation, will be familiar with fundamental solar parameters, will be able to obtain or calculate values for those parameters and use them in calculations, and will be able to obtain values for average monthly rate of solar radiation striking the surface of a typical solar collector in the United States for a given month.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Know the different types of electromagnetic radiation and which of them are included in solar radiation
- Be able to calculate wavelength if given frequency and frequency if given wavelength for specified electromagnetic radiation
- Know the meaning of absorbance, reflectance and transmittance as applied to a surface receiving electromagnetic radiation and be able to make calculations with those parameters
- Be able to obtain or calculate values for solar declination, solar hour angle, solar altitude angle, sunrise angle, and sunset angle and use them in calculations
- Know the major methods by which solar radiation is converted into other useable forms of energy.
- Be able to obtain an estimated value for monthly averaged extraterrestrial radiation on a horizontal surface for a specified month and latitude between 20 and 65 degrees.
- Be able to obtain values for the average monthly rate of solar radiation striking the surface of a solar collector with one of several standard tilt angles at a specified location in the United States for a given month.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.