Solar Energy and Its Applications
This online engineering PDH course presents an overview of solar energy and how to harness it. It discusses the different types of solar collectors and their components. Furthermore, it highlights the advantages and disadvantages of air type versus liquid type of collector medium. It will address the typical issues faced in solar system applications such as corrosion and freezing as well as how to resolve them. Finally, this course describes the different applications of solar energy used in domestic water and space heating systems along with their respective configurations.
The energy that the earth receives from the sun is electromagnetic radiation. Most of the energy is received in the visible and infrared portions and a small amount is received as ultraviolet radiation. Energy from the sun travels approximately 90 million miles in just over 8 minutes to reach earth. If 100 percent of the solar constant were to be collected on an area the size of the United States, we could absorb enough energy in 32 minutes to supply the energy needs of the entire world for a year.
The 2 PDH online course is intended for mechanical engineers, architects, sustainability professionals, construction personnel and developers interested in gaining a better understanding of the basics and applications of solar energy.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the principles behind solar energy
- Learning about the different types of solar collectors and their components
- Learning about the advantages and disadvantages of air type versus liquid type of collector medium
- Familiarizing with the different methods of corrosion and freeze protection used in solar systems
- Knowing how solar energy is applied to domestic water heating systems and learning about their respective configurations
- Knowing how solar energy is applied to space heating systems and learning about their respective configurations
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.