Introduction to Biofuels
This online engineering PDH course provides information about the Biomass Research and Development Board’s seven point Action Plan for development of biofuels. It presents information about and a comparison among the wide variety of possible biofuels, with greatest emphasis on those either already in commercial production or close to commercial production capability. It also provides detail about the production of ethanol from cellulosic feedstocks, which still needs some development work, but has great near term potential. Finally, it discusses switchgrass, which has great potential as a crop to be used as a cellulosic feedstock for ethanol production.
Biofuels include ethanol from grain or sugar, diesel fuel from soybeans, ethanol from cellulosic feedstock, and several other feedstock/fuel combinations.
This 3 PDH online course is intended primarily for energy, civil, chemical, environmental, mechanical and industrial engineers. Someone completing this course will gain knowledge about basic biofuel technologies.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the basic concepts of biofuel technology
- Understanding the production processes involved in converting biomass to biofuel
- Learning about the comparative features of nine different feedstock/fuel combinations
- Knowing the plan of action for the multi-agency R&D board for biofuel development
- Understanding the research advances and future goals for producing cellulosic ethanol biofuel
- Understanding the dynamics involved in developing switchgrass biomass into biofuel
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course material comprised of the following four NREL and DOE documents:
· National Biofuels Action Plan
· From Biomass to Biofuels, NREL Leads the Way
· Research Advances Cellulosic Ethanol, NREL Leads the Way
· Biofuels from Switchgrass: Greener Energy Pastures
These documents are complied into one document (for ease of reference) which is provided below.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.