Implementing Design-Build in the Public Sector
This online engineering PDH course presents how the benefits of a design-build construction delivery process can be obtained without jeopardizing the integrity of a public agency's procurement process. It describes why these processes are effective, how to apply them at your agency, and how to do business with public agencies that use them. It explains the difference between awarding a construction contract based on subjective and objective criteria.
Public works project managers are under great pressure to award construction contracts using a loosely defined process called "design-build." There are benefits that can be realized using design-build as a construction delivery process, but there are serious drawbacks when this concept is manipulated into a construction procurement process. Design-build may provide benefits for public agencies in construction delivery but it also opens the door to political corruption. To have the plusses without the minuses is difficult but it can be done.
This 2 PDH online course is intended for all engineers, architects, design professionals, project managers, construction managers and other technical personnel who are engaged in design-build projects or who are interested in gaining a better understanding of the design-build process.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learn a strategy for awarding design-build construction delivery contracts while preserving the benefits of competitive bidding.
- Learn how the difference between a construction delivery process and construction procurement process.
- Learn the characteristics of construction procurement processes including competitive bidding, experience-and-qualifications, "stipulated price" and "best value."
- Learn the structure and characteristics of construction delivery processes including design-bid-build, design-build, and construction management.
- Learn the advantages and disadvantages of the various combinations of construction procurement processes with construction delivery processes.
- Learn the two procurement methods that can be used to award design-build construction contracts while retaining the integrity of competitive bidding.
- Learn how to articulate this strategy to the public and policymakers.
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled: "Implementing Design-Build in the Public Sector".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.