Fly Ash Facts for Highway Engineers
This online engineering PDH course provides basic technical information for highway engineers who want to learn about the various uses and advantages of fly ash as originally envisioned by the FHWA and the EPA and as borne out by the subsequent experience of other engineers involved in highway construction.
Coal fly ash is a coal combustion product that has numerous applications in highway construction. Fly ash has been used in roadways and interstate highways since the early 1950s. In 1974, the Federal Highway Administration issued an official notice which urged states to allow partial substitution of fly ash for cement whenever feasible. In addition, to encourage the use of fly ash the Environmental Protection Agency published federal procurement guidelines for cement and concrete containing fly ash.
This 6 PDH online course is intended primarily for a highway engineers seeking to learn the advantages of using fly ash in highway construction.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning about the origin, production and handling of fly ash
- Understanding the physical and chemical characteristics of fly ash
- Learning about the environmental benefits and impacts of fly ash
- Learning about portland cement concrete applications
- Understanding the applications of fly ash in stabilized base courses
- Understanding the applications of fly ash in flowable fills
- Familiarizing with soil improvements using fly ash
- Understanding the application of fly ash in asphalt pavement
- Learning about fly ash applications in grouts for pavement subsealing
- Learning about the additional developments in fly ash technology
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the FHWA Publication, "Fly Ash Facts for Highway Engineers", FHWA-IF-03-019, published in 2003.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.