Design of Potable Water Plumbing Systems
This online engineering PDH course provides comprehensive design methodology and underlying principles of plumbing water systems. This course addresses the design criteria for estimating potable water demand for residential and transitory use facilities. This course is intended to provide basic information, which may be used for conceptual design in the absence of any more appropriate information.
Plumbing water distribution systems are designed on the idea of the most probable peak demand loading, which reflects the worst-case scenario for a system. These types of systems require different considerations than large-scale water distribution networks. The difference is primarily attributed to uncertainty regarding the use of plumbing fixtures, hence uncertainty in demand loadings.
This 4 PDH online course is aimed at architects, mechanical engineers, civil engineers, facility designers, health and environment professionals, energy auditors and anyone who wants a basic understanding of plumbing systems.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understand the factors influencing the potable water demand
- Learn the model plumbing codes applicable to potable water plumbing systems
- Learn the Hunter's method for approximating peak demand loadings on a building's water distribution system
- Describe the terms maximum flow, average flow, maximum probable flow, continuous demand and intermittent demand
- Understand the fixture unit concept to determine the rate of flow with a plumbing pipe
- Learn with example the application of Hunter's curve and demand tables
- Learn the American Water Works Association (AWWA) "Fixture Value Method for sizing service water mains for non-residential demands
- Learn four approaches related to plumbing water pipe sizing
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of using copper v/s plastic pipe for potable water service
- Understand the method of sizing booster water pump/s
- Understand the regulatory requirements and system reliability considerations when analyzing or estimating water demands
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "Design of Potable Water Plumbing Systems".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.