Best Practices for Road Weather Management
This online engineering PDH course presents best management practices for attempting to decrease the number of crashes caused by bad weather and for reducing associated maintenance costs. Twenty-seven case studies of systems in 22 states that improve roadway operations under inclement weather conditions are described. Each case study has six sections including a general description of the system, system components, operational procedures, resulting transportation outcomes, implementation issues, as well as contact information and references.
Nationwide, on average, each year over 7,000 fatalities occur in weather-related crashes. In addition, the cost of repairing roads damaged by harsh winter weather consumes a significant portion of transportation budgets.
This 7 PDH online course is intended primarily for transportation engineers and managers involved with the operation and maintenance of highway systems.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning about the methods for informing drivers about predicted adverse weather
- Understanding the use of various devices to detect poor visibility and road conditions automatically, without the need for transportation personnel to be present
- Knowing the strategies for minimizing road damage caused by winter storms
- Understanding the effectiveness of various warning systems and road-maintenance techniques as measured by improved safety or reduced costs
- Understanding the implementation problems that may arise with some of the warning systems and road-maintenance techniques
- Learning about the protocols and devices for communicating to transportation managers that potentially dangerous weather conditions exist at some locations in the road network
- Learning about the descriptions of specific system components, including hardware, software, and personnel
- Knowing the strategies for discouraging or, in severe cases, completely restricting drivers' access to highways, as storm intensity increases
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the document, "Best Practices for Road Weather Management," Version 3.0, of the Federal Highway Administration, Technical Report No. FHWA-HOP-12-046, June 2012.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.