An Introduction to Wastewater Collection and Treatment in Cold Regions
This online engineering PDH course will introduce you to the unique aspects of design and construction of wastewater collection and treatment systems in the arctic and subarctic regions. In addition to gravity collection systems, some detail is included on the use of pressure and vacuum sewers since the flat terrain and permafrost make it difficult to design a conventional gravity sewer system in the
Wastewater characteristics for treatment purposes in the cold regions will generally be different from those in temperate regions, with respect to quantity, quality, and temperature. The total quantity of wastewater discharged at installations in cold regions tends to be very close to the quantity supplied for potable water use since there is little external or industrial use, storm water is usually excluded, and groundwater infiltration is not a factor in the newer insulated and tightly sealed pipe systems. As a result wastewater in the
This 3 PDH online course is intended for civil, environmental and mechanical engineers and other design and construction professionals interested to learn about wastewater collection and treatment systems, facilities and equipment in arctic and subarctic regions.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning about temperature considerations in wastewater collection systems in cold regions
- Understanding how low temperature affects wastewater treatment processes
- Learning about special design details recommended for features such as manholes, cleanouts, service connections and pumping stations
- Learning how to employ pressure and vacuum sewerage systems in cold regions
- Understanding how cold temperatures affect preliminary treatment processes such as facultative lagoons
- Learning about design considerations when designing aeration systems in cold regions
- Learning about sludge management in Arctic and Subarctic regions
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "An Introduction to Wastewater Collection and Treatment in Cold Regions".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.