An Introduction to Steel Bridge Maintenance and Repair
This online engineering PDH course provides an introduction on the maintenance and repair of steel bridges.
Preventive maintenance of steel bridge components consists mainly of measures to protect the steel from corrosion. When deicing salt is added to the electrolyte, there is a dramatic increase in the rate of corrosion of the structural steel. Corrosion is usually easily spotted by visual inspection. Protection from corrosion can take various forms. The physical condition of the structure must first be determined by a detailed inspection. The structural capacity of the steel should be known. Once the physical condition of the bridge is evaluated, a determination of whether damaged bridge components should be repaired or replaced is made.
This 3 PDH online course is intended for civil engineers and bridge maintenance managers interested in learning about bridge inspection and repair techniques.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding how many state highway departments have indicated poor performance from their weathering bridges
- Learning about the temperature recommendations for applying paint to steel bridge elements
- Learning about the approaches to making repair decisions which must carefully weigh the long-term operational requirements and existing environmental factors that can help accelerate corrosion prior to evaluating initial and life cycle costs
- Learning how to properly analyze and design repairs that involve adding metal to steel bridge members and elements
- Understanding how members to be strengthened must be investigated for any decrease in strength resulting from temporary removal of rivets, cover plates, or other parts
- Learning how to repair loose or missing rivets
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the document titled, “An Introduction to Steel Bridge Maintenance and Repair”.
Once you complete your course review, you need to take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of fifteen (15) questions to earn 3 PDH credits. The quiz will be based on the entire document.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.