An Introduction to Spread Footings and Mat Foundations
This online engineering PDH course provides an introduction to the design of spread footings and mat foundations for buildings and other structures such as towers on cohesive and cohesionless soils.
When required footings cover more than half the area beneath a structure, it is often desirable to enlarge and combine the footings to cover the entire area. This type of foundation is called a raft or mat foundation and may be cheaper than individual footings because of reduced forming costs and simpler excavation procedures. A mat foundation also may be used to resist hydrostatic pressures or to bridge over small, soft spots in the soil, provided the mat is adequately reinforced.
This 2 PDH online course is intended for civil engineers, structural engineers, geotechnical engineers, geologists and other design and construction professionals seeking an introduction to methods and techniques for designing footings and mat foundations for buildings and other structures such as towers.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the guidelines for depth of foundations
- Learning how to design footings in cohesive soils
- Learning about design of footings in cohesionless soils such as sand
- Learning how to estimate foundation pressures distribution
- Learning how to design for stability of mat foundations
- Knowing the conventional and approximate plate methods of analysis of mat foundations
- Learning how to design mat foundations on compressible soils
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "An Introduction to Spread Footings and Mat Foundations".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.