An Introduction to Soil Stabilization with Portland Cement
This online engineering PDH course will help you to address a variety of approaches to improving soil characteristics using stabilization material such as Portland cement. This course discusses how Portland cement can be used either to modify or improve the quality of the soil or to transform the soil into a cemented mass with increased strength and durability.
The amount of cement used will depend upon whether the soil is to be modified or stabilized. Several different types of cement have been used successfully for stabilization of soils. Type I normal portland cement and Type IA air-entraining cements were used extensively in the past and gave about the same results. At the present time, Type II cement has largely replaced Type I cement as greater sulfate resistance is obtained while the cost is often the same. High early strength cement (Type III) has been found to give a higher strength in some soils. Type III cement has a finer particle size and a different compound composition than do the other cement types.
This 2 PDH online course is intended for civil engineers, geotechnical engineers and other design and construction professionals wanting an introduction to the fundamentals of soil stabilization using Portland cement.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding how Portland cement can be used either to modify and improve the quality of the soil or to transform the soil into a cemented mass with increased strength and durability
- Understanding why the presence of organic matter and/or sulfates may have a deleterious effect on soil cement, and learning about tests to screen for them
- Understanding why sulfate attack is known to have an adverse effect on the quality of hardened portland cement concrete, but that less is known about the sulfate resistance of cement stabilized soils
- Learning how to reduce swell potential
- Knowing the special procedures to follow when cement-modified soil is to be used in frost areas
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the document titled, “An Introduction to Soil Stabilization with Portland Cement”.
Once you complete your course review, you need to take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of fifteen (15) questions to earn 2 PDH credits. The quiz will be based on the entire document.
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.