An Introduction to Seepage and Drainage
This online engineering PDH course provides an introduction to seepage and drainage control for foundations and earth structures. It covers surface erosion, and analysis of flow quantity and groundwater pressures associated with underseepage. It also presents the requirements for methods of drainage and pressure relief.
Control of soil erosion must be considered in all new construction projects. Seepage pressures are of primary importance in stability analysis and in foundation design and construction. Frequently, drawdown of groundwater is necessary for construction. In other situations, pressure relief must be incorporated in temporary and permanent structures. For erosion analysis, the surface water flow characteristics, soil type, and slope are needed. For analysis of major seepage problems, permeability and piezometric levels should be determined by field observations.
This 5 PDH online course is intended for civil engineers, structural engineers, geotechnical engineers, geologists and other design and construction professionals seeking an introduction to methods and techniques for seepage and drainage control for foundations of structures, and earth structures such as dams, reservoirs and levees.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the techniques for analysis of seepage considerations at earth structure
- Learning how to construct and apply flow net diagrams
- Learning how to estimate seepage quantities for different soil conditions
- Learning how to calculate seepage forces exerted on soils subject to seepage conditions
- Understanding the "boiling" seepage conditions and corresponding mitigation techniques
- Understanding the cutoff techniques for seepage control
- Learning how to design and apply drainage blankets
- Learning about the different types of reservoir linings and their applicability
- Learning about "piping" failures and subsurface erosion
- Learning about wellpoint systems
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "An Introduction to Seepage and Drainage".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.