An Introduction to Sanitary Landfills
This online engineering PDH course provides an introduction to the planning and design of sanitary landfills including dry and wet landfills, site selection, site development plans, site layout, trench design, leachate control and treatment, gas control, runoff control, support facilities, and landfill closure issues.
The main advantage of a sanitary landfill is that handling and processing of refuse is kept to a minimum. Handling is limited to the pickup and transport of the waste, the spreading of refuse, and covering with a suitable cover material.
New technologies that can produce a closed landfill system, a self contained system resulting in very little impact on the surrounding environment, have resulted in more restrictive legislation and regulations for sanitary landfills. Therefore, site selection and proper landfill design are considered the most important factors in the refuse disposal process.
This 2 PDH online course is intended for all engineers, design professionals, construction and solid waste operational personnel who are engaged in the planning, design and operation of sanitary landfills.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learn about the applications and characteristics of dry and wet landfills.
- Learn about the two most commonly used methods of operating a landfill.
- Learn about landfill site selection issues associated with nearby airports, wetlands, seismic impact zones, unstable areas, cover, existing site utilities and access.
- Learn what features must be incorporated into landfill site development plans, and accompanying plans and narratives required to fully characterize the landfill site planning, design, operation and closure.
- Learn the fundamentals of landfill trench design.
- Learn the fundamentals of landfill cover requirements to minimize infiltration and erosion.
- Learn about leachate, runoff, and gas control and sanitary landfills.
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled: "An Introduction to Sanitary Landfills".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.