An Introduction to Planning Solar Water Heating Systems
This online engineering PDH course provides guidance for the planning of active solar energy systems to preheat domestic and service water. The systems treated by this document are liquid based. Guidelines apply to the larger commercial-scale applications that require an effort on the part of the designer, as opposed to residential-sized "packaged" systems, which in the past have been available from a number of manufacturers. The concepts developed in this document are targeted for new construction, although most are also appropriate for retrofit applications.
This 2 PDH online course is intended for mechanical engineers and other infrastructure design and construction professionals seeking an introduction to planning solar water heating systems for buildings and related facilities.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning how to evaluate the feasibility of designing and installing an active solar preheat system using the Solar Payback screening tool developed by the Construction Engineering Research Laboratory (CERL)
- Learning about closed-loop solar energy system
- Learning about the fundamental components of the solar loop in a closed loop solar energy system
- Learning about piping and component corrosion and maintenance issues that are a common cause of closed-loop system failure
- Learning about the direct circulation system for solar energy water heating
- Learning about freezing issues in direct circulation systems
- Learning about site location, freezing days, estimated load size and water quality issues in system selection
- Learning about system layout at the planning level
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "An Introduction to Planning Solar Water Heating Systems".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.