An Introduction to Geotextiles for Soil Wall Reinforcement
This online engineering PDH course provides an introduction to material specifications and design methods to employ when designing geotextile reinforced soil walls.
Geotextiles have been utilized in the construction of reinforced soil walls since the early 1970's. Geotextile sheets are used to wrap compacted soil in layers producing a stable composite structure. Geotextile-reinforced soil walls somewhat resemble the popular sandbag walls which have been used for some decades. However, geotextile-reinforced walls can be constructed to significant height because of the geotextile's higher strength and a simple mechanized construction procedure.
Soil, especially granular, is relatively strong under compressive stresses. When reinforced, significant tensile stresses can be carried by the reinforcement resulting in a composite structure, which possesses wider margins of strength. This extra strength means that steeper slopes can be built.
This 2 PDH online course is intended for civil and geotechnical engineers and other design and construction professionals wanting to learn how to design soil walls with geotextile reinforcement.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning about the advantages of geotextile reinforced walls
- Understanding the disadvantages of geotextile reinforced walls
- Knowing the recommended properties of retained soils in geotextile reinforced walls
- Understanding how backfill soil has a direct effect on the external stability of the wall
- Understanding the design method recommended for retaining walls reinforced with geotextiles developed by the U.S. Forest Service
- Learning how to calculate the lateral earth pressure at any depth below the top of the wall
- Learning how to calculate lateral pressures from live loads for a point load acting on the surface of the backfill
- Understanding why free-draining granular materials should be used as retained soil
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "An Introduction to Geotextiles for Soil Wall Reinforcement".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you may print your Certificate of Completion after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email you your Certificate of Completion. Also, you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.