An Introduction to Building Acoustics and Noise Control
This online engineering PDH course presents the basic principles and terminology of acoustics and noise controls in buildings. It discusses sound pressure levels, sound power levels, sound intensity levels, vibration levels, frequency, temporal variations, loudness, vibration transmissibility and vibration isolation. This course also covers the definitions of fundamental acoustic properties. It illustrates how they are calculated, utilized, and applied to a variety of noise and sound engineering situations encountered in daily practice. This information will assist in addressing many design and analysis issues associated with acoustics and the surrounding environment.
Noise Criteria (NC) and Room Criteria (RC) curves and how they are used in acoustical engineering projects are described. Speech Interference Levels (
This 4 PDH online course is intended for engineers and architects who are interested in gaining a better understanding of acoustics and noise control in buildings that they can apply immediately on straightforward projects, and that will give them the background they need before advancing to more acoustically sophisticated projects. This course is a compilation of Course No. C02-016 and M02-022.
This PE continuing education course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Learning the definition of a decibel and how it is calculated
- Learning how to add, subtract and average decibel levels
- Learning the definition of and how to calculate Sound Pressure Level
- Learning the definition of and how to calculate Sound Power Level
- Learning the definition of and how to calculate Sound Intensity Level
- Learning the definition of A-, B- and C-weighted sound levels and how they are applied
- Learn how noise associated with buildings is defined in terms of Noise Criteria and Room Criteria
- Learn about designing to mitigate speech interference in the acoustic environment
- Learn how sound pressure level (SPL) varies with distance and absorption
- Learn basic principles underlying estimation and use of Room Constants
- Learn how the principles of sound Transmission Loss (TL), Noise Reduction (NR) and Sound Transmission Class (STC) of building materials are applied to real projects
- Learn about STC values for many common building materials
In this professional engineering CEU course, you need to review the course document titled, "An Introduction to Building Acoustics and Noise Control".
Upon successful completion of the quiz, print your Certificate of Completion instantly. (Note: if you are paying by check or money order, you will be able to print it after we receive your payment.) For your convenience, we will also email it to you. Please note that you can log in to your account at any time to access and print your Certificate of Completion.